Adopted on the 3rd December 2003
The name of the group is ‘Marple Locks Heritage Society ‘called the ‘Society’ in this constitution.
To raise awareness of the heritage value of Marple’s canal & lock system.
· To work in partnership with Canal & River Trust, Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council and other interested parties, to help promote and protect the Marple flight of locks and its precincts.
· To make special efforts to encourage children from the local primary schools and other youth groups to take an interest in the locks; to help them understand its value in the environment and to the community in the belief that they may continue the work of ‘The Society’ in future.
· To formulate an action plan (to include a variety of projects and fund raising events).
· To raise awareness and profile of the locks.
· To work towards the eventual setting up a Heritage centre in Marple.
To further the objectives the Committee may exercise the following powers:
1. To set up a bank account in the name of the ‘Society’.
2. To raise funds and receive contributions, donations and otherwise, provided
that the group shall not undertake any permanent trading activity.
3. To levy subscriptions/membership fees if required.
4. To produce leaflets/posters to publicise the groups activities.
5. To hold meetings.
6. To pay necessary expenses involved in the running of the ‘Society’.
Membership of the ‘Society’ shall be open to any person who has an interest in the protection of Marple locks.
The group shall elect a committee consisting of not less than 5 members. They shall be elected to serve for 1 year. From amongst the Committee a chairperson, a secretary and a treasurer will be elected.
Other members may be appointed to hold/undertake particular responsibilities within the group e.g. fund-raising.
Committee meetings will be held on a monthly basis. Open meetings will be held every quarter (4 times a year).
(a) Any money raised shall be used to further the aims of the ‘Society’ and for no other purpose.
(b) A bank account will be opened in the name of the ‘Society’ at the Royal Bank of Scotland, Marple.
(c) The group shall decide the signatories to any account set up in the name of the group (two out of three signatories to sign any cheque).
(d) A simple written note of the ‘Society’s’ financial position will from time to time be produced and available at meetings of the committee.
(e) No member shall derive any financial benefit from the ‘Society’, except for payment of reasonable expenses.
(f) No money will be paid out in the name of the ‘Society’ without a receipt being presented.
Annual General Meeting:
· An AGM of the group shall be held every year. All members shall be notified not less than 14 days before the meeting and an agenda will be circulated.
· The business of the AGM will be:
1. To receive the Chairman’s report of the previous years activities.
2. To receive the Treasurer’s report and the audited accounts.
3. To elect Committee Members for the following year.
4. To conduct any other business that the Committee may see fit to include.
Amendments to the Constitution:
If amendments to the Constitution are necessary, members will be informed in writing and given the opportunity to consider and vote on the amendments. The amendments will only be made if there is a two-thirds majority vote of all members.
The ‘Society’ may be dissolved by a resolution passed by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting at an AGM. This resolution may give instructions for the disposal of any assets held by or in the name of “Marple Locks Heritage Society ” provided that if any property remains after the payment of all debts and liabilities, such property shall not be given or distributed among the members but shall be given to other organisations having similar conservation objectives as the ‘Society’.